Nutrient Transport - Exercise #9
You are studying nutrient uptake in E. coli and are curious about the Fe3+ ABC transporter. You know that fecB is one of the five genes responsible for this ABC transporter.
- What are the other three genes that make up this particular iron ABC transporter?
- What are the functions of all four genes (be sure to mention what they bind & their affinity/affinities or what reaction they catalyze, if anything!)?
- Do the four genes form an operon? If in an operon, are there any additional genes (other than the four named)? Name and describe function(s).
- Describe the regulation Fe3+ uptake genes. Is this ABC transporter inducible or not? If so, name what compound and/or condition induces expression of the genes.
- What is the molecular weight of FecB?