Nutrient Transport - Exercise #8
You are studying nutrient uptake in E. coli and are curious about the nickel ABC transporter. You know that nikA is one of the five genes responsible for this ABC transporter.
- What are the other four genes that make up this particular nickel ABC transporter?
- What are the functions of all five genes (be sure to mention what they bind & their affinity/affinities or what reaction they catalyze, if anything!)?
- Are the five genes in an operon together? If so, is this operon regulated? Explain.
- Name one compound that represses transcription of of these ABC transporter genes.
- State which amino acid region(s) of the ATP binding protein binds ATP.