Nutrient Transport - Exercise #6
You are studying nutrient uptake in E. coli and are curious about the transporter encoded by the gene nupC.
- What is the name of this transporter and what nucleoside(s) does this transporter transport into the cytosol and/or periplasmic space? Establish what category (Passive Diffusion, Facilitated Diffusion, Active Transport). Establish what class (Ion Driven - be specific, Group Translocation, ABC Transporter) of transporters it belongs to. What energy source, if any, drives the uptake process?
- Is the transcription of the transporter gene regulated? If so, what protein(s)/ molecule(s) regulate it?
- When viewing the transport diagram, where is the transporter located? How many transmembrane helices does it have (Hint: Look at the Sequence Features diagram)?
- Why would the cell import nucleosides?
- What sigma factor is required for binding RNA polymerase to the promoter for transcription initiation?