Nutrient Transport - Exercise #5
You are studying nutrient uptake in E. coli and are curious about a transporter that transports putrescine and ornithine. The gene for this transporter is potE.
- What molecule(s) does this transporter transport into the cytosol and/or periplasmic space? Establish what category (Passive Diffusion, Facilitated Diffusion, Active Transport). Establish what class/classes (Ion Driven - be specific, Group Translocation, ABC Transporter) of transporters it belongs to. What energy source(s), if any, drives the uptake process?
- What is the affinity of this transporter for its transported molecule(s)?
- Is the transcription of the transporter gene regulated? If so, what protein(s) regulate it?
- Which two amino acid residues (sequence number and amino acid) are thought to be responsible for putrescine uptake?
- Is this gene part of an operon? If so, what other gene(s) is/are in the operon? Give the gene function also, if applicable (Hint: click on the genome browser)