Nutrient Transport - Exercise #4
You are studying nutrient uptake in E. coli and are curious about the gene adiC, which encodes a protein that is involved in nutrient uptake.
- What molecule(s) does this protein uptake transport into the cytosol and/or periplasmic space? Establish what category (Passive Diffusion, Facilitated Diffusion, Active Transport). Establish what class (Ion Driven - be specific, Group Translocation, ABC Transporter) of transporters it belongs to. What energy source, if any, drives the uptake process?
- What is the affinity of this transporter for its transported molecule(s)?
- Is the transcription of the transporter gene regulated? If so, what protein(s) regulate it?
- Is this transporter important for survival in very acidic or very basic environments? How does the cell counteract acidification or basification? (I.e., what reaction must occur?)
- When viewing the transport diagram, where is the transporter located? How many membrane spanning regions does it have (Hint: Look at the Sequence Features diagram)?