Nutrient Transport - Exercise #2
You are studying nutrient uptake in E. coli and are curious about the role of the TrkH transporter.
- What molecule(s) does this transporter transport into the cytosol and/or periplasmic space? Establish what category (Passive Diffusion, Facilitated Diffusion, Active Transport). Establish what class (Ion Driven - be specific, Group Translocation, ABC Transporter) of transporters it belongs to. What energy source, if any, drives the uptake process?
- What is the affinity of this transporter for its transported molecule(s)?
- Is the transcription of the transporter gene regulated? If so, what protein(s) regulate it?
- Is the transport activity of TrkH regulated by any protein(s) and/or molecule(s)? Explain.
- When viewing the transport diagram, where is the transporter localized? How many transmembrane helices does it have (Hint: Look at the Sequence Features diagram)?