Nutrient Transport - Exercise #1
You are studying nutrient uptake in E. coli and are curious about the TrkG transporter.
- What molecule(s) does this transporter move into the cytosol and/or periplasmic space? Establish what category (Passive Diffusion, Facilitated Diffusion, Active Transport). Establish what class (Ion Driven – be specific, Group Translocation, ABC Transporter) of transporters it belongs to. What energy source, if any, drives the uptake process?
- What is the affinity of this transporter for its transported molecule(s)?
- Is the transcription of the transporter gene regulated? If so, what protein(s) regulate it?
- Is the transport activity of TrkG regulated by any protein(s) and/or molecule(s)? Explain.
- In which membrane is the transporter localized? How many transmembrane helices does it have (Hint: Look at the Sequence Features diagram)?